I for one 'DNF' books a lot. (DNF: did not finish). If a book is just not doing it for me and I've spent too much time on this book I will leave it and go on to my next read.
My process in 'DNFing' books isn't that direct. It is just that when I'm reading book I find a tad boring I can stick to it, but then a new book comes along that I just 'need' to read. So I leave this book in intentions to finish the current book I have and then go on to finishing the book I 'DNFed'. But unfortunately, that's not the case most of the time. I usually read the book, then go read the next good read.
It is not that the books that I will mention are not good. They might amazing, I know people that adore some of these books. It's just that most of these particular books don't add up to my tastes.
Disclaimer: Do not get offended if one of your favorite books is here. This is just my personal opinion. And you already know by seeing the title that this is going to be controversial. So obviously by clicking on the title you know why your here for.

Fangirl:
This is the first book I have ever 'DNFed'. I had just became a reader and those where my first few months being a reader, so I was like looking over Youtube and watch booktuber recommendations and what to read, because I was so new to the YA world. That was like I think the week before school started.
So the week school started I went to the school library and I found 'Fangirl'. And I honestly couldn't believe it, because our library never has these sorts of stuff ( popular Y.A). In my opinion, they usually had unpopular boring Y.A or middle grade (not a really big fan of 'middle grade').
And I couldn't belive my eyes when I saw 'Fangirl', I was like, 'My school library is amazing!'.
At that time borrowing was not available because it was the first week and school and it was 'the rules'.
Well, guess who broke the rules. Moi (me!!). I didn't leave the librarian alone. Everyday I to the library to admire the book, and maybe, just maybe, be given permision to borrow the book. So everyday I went to the librairian and tried to convince her to give me the book, and I gave her a list of reasons why. Until one day she was like, 'Fine, I'll give it to you. Because it will unfair to not give you the book after all that trouble you went through just to convince me.
I was flying that day!
At that time I didn't know what a good book contained, I was still very new to the Y.A genre. So when I was reading 'Fangirl', I was like, this is really good. It was a 400 page book and I've never read that much. And I also felt like the book was moving on a very slow pace. So I just couldn't finish the 400 page book as a new Y.A reader and I DNFed it in hopes to finish it later. Well, more than a year passed, and I still did't pick it up. Is it worth finishing guys? Please comment in the comments below if so. I read about 300 pages and then DNFed it.
I feel like if I read it nowadays I might like it just because I might relate more than I did back then.
But there is just one thing holding me back from this book. It is just too sweet and fluffy for me. I don't know why, but some books are just too sweet for me. I for one don't like cute books, they are just so boring and predictable to me. I need drama, betrayal, heartbreak. This is a fluffy contemporary read that was just so fluffy and cute that I fond it boring.
Where She Went:

This is the sequel to the 'If I Stay' duology.
Now, I liked 'If I Stay'. It was so lyrical and beautiful. But still, it wasn't my favorite in any sort of way, it was just a mildly enjoyable read.
'If I Stay' was one of the few popular Y.A books in our school library. So I went on to read 'Where She Went' because I still held interest in the Duology. So, I read it, and it was very slow. I read like the first 80 pages then DNFed it.
You see, I have a problem with slow paced books. I am a person that deeply cares about the importance of plot in a book.
This book was just so slow, and the plot was just developing very leisurely and as a 200 paged book, it was just so predictable of what's gonna happen. As I said, I might complete it someday.
Eleanor and Park:

Again, too cute and basic for me. I read the first 80 pages and was like, 'this is boring'. I've been getting the vibe that 'Rainbow Rowell' books don't suit me that much.
But honestly I had high hopes for this book. Because I saw many people in my school read it again and again, and the cover looked beautiful. So I was like, OMG, this is going to be an epic love story.
Turns out, it is just a cute little love story, and people enjoy that stuff. Those people are not me. I have been told that there is a heartbreaking end, but I honestly don't actually care that much.
I guess its a small easy read for me to read, so I might binge read it someday if i have nothing else to read.
Shatter Me:

The writing style was just not doing it for me. This is in no way a cute fluffy book as long as I've read anyway. I read the first 100+ pages. But the writing style wasn't that easy to digest for me. The story might be spectacular and epic but the writing was just hard for me to get past.
I hear that this series is amazing and it is constantly raved about in booktube. I might continue on in reading it, but for now, I'm good.
That's that. Comment in the comments below if you can relate to my DNFs. Hope you enjoyed my article, and hopefully saw another side of the coin after reading my post. We are all different, we all enjoy different things, and that's the beauty in society.


No comments:
Post a Comment